Auto accidents can be one of the leading causes of the most serious injuries in traffic cases, especially when drivers are not in the proper conditions to drive a vehicle. But after they occur, what kind of errors are important to avoid to obtain compensation?
While in these types of situations, a victim may have the opportunity to work with an accident lawyer to obtain compensation, there may also be certain doubts about the correct procedure to follow after the accident. These doubts can lead to errors that can be counterproductive for the victim.
If you were a victim of injuries in auto accidents, at Nonna Shikh Law, we know how to get justice in your case. With the help of our team of aggressive accident lawyers, you can have the opportunity to follow the appropriate legal path to defend your rights as a victim.
Call now at 718-295-4000, or schedule your consultation with us to learn how we can help you assert your rights as a victim, accessing that million-dollar compensation that you deserve for the injuries suffered in the accident.
Why is the support of traffic accident lawyers important?
In cases of traffic accidents, victims usually tend to be unaware of their rights and the possible benefits they can access, even when the magnitude of the injuries is not very high.
It is precisely this lack of knowledge that can cause victims to lose the opportunity to obtain a million-dollar compensation, with which it will be possible to recover a large part of the expenses generated by injuries related to medical care, prescribed medications, etc.
However, if a victim has the proper support of a good auto accident lawyer, not only will they be able to know their rights as a victim, but they will also have the ability to follow the appropriate legal path that will lead them to obtain each of the benefits they deserve, with the support of a lawyer who will defend their rights at all times.
The 5 mistakes to avoid in auto accident cases
In an auto accident case, it is very easy to make mistakes that can make it difficult to access the benefits that the victim deserves by law. To help you avoid them, below we tell you the 5 most common mistakes that people usually make when they become victims of auto accidents:
- Not reporting the accident to the insurance company: It is important to notify your insurance company about the accident as soon as possible. If you don’t, you could lose the opportunity to receive fair compensation for damages.
- Not seeking immediate medical attention: Your health is the most important thing! Always remember to seek immediate medical attention after an auto accident, even if you don’t feel pain immediately. If you don’t, you could put your health at risk and also lose the opportunity to receive fair compensation for the cost of damages.
- Not collecting the appropriate information: You must make sure to collect all important information about the accident, such as the name and contact information of the other driver, insurance information, and any other relevant information. This will help your insurance company investigate and process your claim.
- Not taking photographs or videos of the accident: It is important to take photographs or videos of the accident scene, vehicle damage, and any other important evidence. This can be useful in proving who was at fault for the accident and supporting your claim.
- Not hiring an accident lawyer: If you are unsure how to proceed with your claim or if your insurance company is not offering you fair compensation, it is important to seek the help of a lawyer specializing in auto accidents. A lawyer can help you navigate the claims process and obtain the compensation you deserve.
At Shikh Law, we are specialized lawyers with over 25 years of experience handling these types of cases, achieving millions of dollars in compensation for our clients. Trust in our services and get ready to get justice with a team of aggressive lawyers.
What are the Benefits of Hiring a Car Accident Lawyer in New York
- They have the experience and knowledge of the laws and regulations related to car accidents in New York
- They can handle the communication and negotiation with the insurance companies and other parties involved
- They can gather and present the evidence and witnesses to support your claim
- They can advise you on the best course of action for your case, whether it is settling or going to trial
- They can help you get the maximum compensation you deserve for your injuries and losses
New York Car Accident Laws and Regulations
The legal rules and requirements that apply to car accidents in New York:
- You must file a claim with your own insurance company under your PIP coverage, no matter who caused the accident. This is because New York follows a no-fault car insurance system
- You can only sue the other driver for your injuries if they are serious enough to meet a certain threshold. This is an exception to the no-fault system
- Your compensation will be reduced by the percentage of your fault for the accident. This is because New York follows a pure comparative fault rule
What are the Common Types and Causes of Car Accidents in New York
- Rear-end collisions, which are often caused by tailgating, distracted driving, or sudden braking
- Side-impact collisions, which are often caused by running red lights, failing to yield, or making unsafe turns
- Head-on collisions, which are often caused by drunk driving, wrong-way driving, or crossing the center line
- Rollover accidents, which are often caused by speeding, sharp curves, or hitting obstacles
- Pedestrian accidents, which are often caused by drivers not paying attention, not stopping at crosswalks, or driving under the influence
How Much Compensation Can One Get for a Car Accident in New York
- The severity and extent of their injuries and losses
- The degree of fault or negligence of each party involved
- The type and amount of insurance coverage available
- The strength and quality of their evidence and legal representation
Work with the best auto accident lawyers
If you were a victim of auto accidents in New York, at Nonna Shikh Law we have the legal solution you need. Work with us to learn what your rights are and what legal options you have to defend them, increasing your chances of receiving that million-dollar compensation that you deserve as a victim.
Call now at 718-295-4000 or schedule your consultation so we can start working on the best solution for your case. With our aggressiveness and determination when it comes to getting justice for your injuries, the benefits you deserve are more than guaranteed.
FAQs About Car Accident Claims in New York
Q: How long do I have to file a car accident claim in New York? A: The deadline for filing a car accident claim in New York depends on the type of claim you are making. If you are making a PIP claim with your own insurance company, you have 30 days from the date of the accident to notify them. If you are making a liability claim against the at-fault driver, you have three years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit.
Q: What if the other driver is uninsured or underinsured? A: If the other driver is uninsured or underinsured, you may be able to make a claim under your own uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage, if you have it. UM/UIM coverage protects you and your passengers in case you are injured by a driver who has no insurance or not enough insurance to cover your damages.
Q: How much does it cost to hire a car accident lawyer in New York? A: Most car accident lawyers in New York work on a contingency fee basis, which means that they only get paid if they win your case. They will take a percentage of your recovery as their fee, usually between 25% and 40%, depending on the complexity and risk of your case. You may also have to pay for some expenses, such as court fees, expert witnesses, or medical records. You should discuss the fee arrangement with your lawyer before hiring them.
Q: What if I was partly at fault for the accident? A: If you were partly at fault for the accident, you can still recover compensation for your injuries and losses, but your recovery will be reduced by your percentage of fault. For example, if you were 20% at fault and your damages were $100,000, you can only recover $80,000.
The team of writers of Nonna Shikh is made up of a group of lawyers specialized in personal injury, traffic, construction and slip and fall cases. Each member of the team has extensive experience in their area of specialization and is committed to providing the best defense and compensation to their clients in New York City.