In the city of New York, hustle and bustle are a constant that are already part of the daily life of its inhabitants. In the midst of the rush and fast pace that characterizes this important city, it is very easy to become a victim of some type of personal injury. But what are the most common personal injury cases in New York?
According to official figures from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, workplace accidents are usually one of the most common types of injuries in New York, accounting for a total of 73 deaths for this reason in 2018.
From car accidents to slips and falls in public places, personal injuries can be unavoidable in such a large and busy city like New York. If you or someone you know becomes a victim of a similar accident, you can count on the legal support of Nonna Shikh Law.
Contact us at 718-295-4000 or schedule a consultation with our personal injury lawyers, who will work alongside you aggressively to fight for your rights as a victim and ensure your access to the million-dollar compensation you deserve.
Also, check out: What to do if you have a slip and fall accident in the Bronx?
Personal injuries in New York: statistics and relevant data
As we mentioned before, the city of New York is a place where it is very easy to become a victim of a personal injury case, whether you are driving a vehicle, riding a bike, or simply taking a walk along its busy avenues. This is clearly reflected in each of the figures that different organizations have been responsible for making known. Here are some of the most relevant figures regarding personal injury cases in New York:
- Annually, almost 2 million New Yorkers visit emergency rooms due to personal injury accidents. (NYC Health)
- In 2020, the city of New York reported over 66,000 personal injury cases related to traffic accidents, slips and falls, and other types of accidents (Source: NYPD).
- Traffic accidents are one of the main causes of personal injuries in New York, with over 22,000 cases reported in 2020 (Source: NYC Open Data).
- Slips and falls on sidewalks and stairs are another major cause of personal injuries in the city, with over 12,000 cases reported in 2020 (Source: NYC Open Data).
- Construction work is the most dangerous in the city, with over 400 serious injuries reported in 2020 (Source: NYC Buildings).
- Physical assaults are another significant cause of personal injuries in New York, with over 17,000 cases reported in 2020 (Source: NYPD).
Given the risk of suffering a personal injury case in New York, it is always best to be prepared to act appropriately and obtain the benefits that the law can offer according to the magnitude of the case. Therefore, if you have suffered a personal injury case, at Shikh Law we can help you achieve justice through honest and responsible attention. Call us now at 718-295-4000.
What are the most common personal injury cases in New York?
While there are many personal injury cases that can occur in a large and busy city like New York, there are some cases that have become much more common than others due to the large number that can be registered annually. Some of the most common personal injury cases in New York are:
Traffic accidents are one of the main causes of personal injuries in the city of New York. This is largely due to the density of traffic and the number of reckless drivers circulating on the city’s streets.
Slips and falls
Risk jobs that require the use of heavy tools, as well as any other activity that endangers the worker’s integrity, are one of the main causes of personal injuries in New York. Workplace injuries can be serious and often require medical attention and compensation to cover all expenses generated by your injuries.
New York is home to many high-level sports teams and events. Sports injuries, such as concussions and knee injuries, are common among athletes and fans, even when it comes to bike accidents. For this reason, they are also considered within the most common personal injury cases.
In a city constantly growing and famous for its large buildings, construction accidents are also very common. In these cases, victims have the right to take legal action to claim a million-dollar compensation that allows them to recover all expenses generated by their injuries, especially if they were caused by negligence.
Bicycle accidents in New York refer to situations where cyclists get involved in crashes, injuries, or deaths on the city’s roads. New York City was the most dangerous city for cyclists in 2020 among the cities with more than half a million people, according to a report by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). If you suffer a bicycle accident in New York City, you may be eligible to seek compensation for your injuries and losses from the liable party or their insurance company.
Compensation for accidents in New York and why you need a lawyer
Compensation for accidents in New York is the money that you can receive for the damages and losses suffered in a traffic, work, slip and fall, or other type of accident in the city of New York. The compensation can cover your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages. However, to claim the compensation, you have to prove the fault or liability of the other party involved in the accident and the value of your damages.
Hiring a lawyer for your accident case in New York is very important because:
- A lawyer can help you understand your rights and options under the law. New York has complex and specific laws and regulations regarding accidents, such as the statute of limitations, the comparative negligence rule, the no-fault insurance system, and the types of damages that you can claim .
- A lawyer can help you gather and preserve evidence to support your claim. This may include police reports, medical records, witness statements, photos, videos, expert opinions, and other documents that can prove how the accident happened, who was responsible, and how it affected you .
- A lawyer can help you negotiate with the insurance companies and protect you from their tactics. Insurance companies often try to minimize or deny your claim by disputing your liability, questioning your injuries, offering lowball settlements, or delaying or avoiding payments . A lawyer can deal with them on your behalf and fight for your best interests.
- A lawyer can help you file a lawsuit if necessary and represent you in court if needed. Sometimes, the insurance companies may not offer a fair settlement or may refuse to pay at all. In that case, you may have to sue them or the other party to get the compensation you deserve. A lawyer can prepare and file your lawsuit, handle the legal procedures, present your case to the judge or jury, and advocate for your rights .
At Nonna Shikh Law, we turn your injuries into millions
If you were a victim of some of the most common personal injury cases in New York, at Nonna Shikh Law we are ready to legally defend you. Don’t let your rights be violated by not knowing the legal process that corresponds to obtaining the benefits you deserve. Work with our aggressive lawyers and get the legal assistance your case needs to achieve the best results.
Call us now at 718-295-4000, or schedule your consultation so we can help you. Our accident lawyers know your rights and are ready to fight at any legal level to assert them. We are a top-notch law firm and, with us, your compensation is more than guaranteed.
You may also be interested in: How to act when you suffer personal injuries due to slips and falls to receive benefits?
Frequently Asked Questions
If you still have doubts about this type of accidents that can be very common, below we answer some frequently asked questions about personal injuries, so you can learn more about these cases that can seriously affect a person’s health.
What are personal injuries?
Personal injuries refer to any damage or injury that occurs in an individual’s body or mind due to the negligence or wrongful conduct of another person, company or entity. These can be caused by a variety of reasons such as traffic accidents, falls, sports injuries, medical malpractice, defective products, assaults, and other types of traumatic events.
Can I sue for personal injuries in New York?
Yes, it is possible to sue for personal injuries in New York if certain requirements are met. For these cases, it is ideal to have the legal assistance of personal injury lawyers who can guide you on the right path to ensure the best results in your lawsuit.
How can a personal injury lawyer help me?
A personal injury lawyer can provide legal assistance in different ways, as long as you have been a victim of one caused by the negligence of another person or entity. From case evaluation, representation in court, evidence collection and benefit claims, a lawyer provides you with all the legal guidance you need in a case like this.
Where can I find the best personal injury lawyers in New York?
While it is true that the city of New York is full of law firms where you can find legal services for any type of event, very few offer you aggressive defense, where the main focus is to fight for the fulfillment of your rights before any legal instance. At Shikh Law you will find the personal injury lawyers that your case needs. Contact us now at 718-295-4000.
The team of writers of Nonna Shikh is made up of a group of lawyers specialized in personal injury, traffic, construction and slip and fall cases. Each member of the team has extensive experience in their area of specialization and is committed to providing the best defense and compensation to their clients in New York City.