When an employee is injured at work in the United States, one of the most important legal benefits for the injured worker is workers’ compensation. However, there are many myths surrounding this benefit that can generate doubts among workers regarding its coverage and possibility of obtaining it.
In this article, we have compiled for you some of the most popular myths and truths about workers’ compensation, so that you can have a clear picture of this important legal benefit that can change the life of an employee who suffers injuries in the workplace.
Were you a victim of a work accident and looking to obtain compensation? Our lawyers at Nonna Shikh Law are ready to provide you with the solution you need. With our top-notch attention, you will have the opportunity to access each of the benefits that you deserve by law, including a million-dollar compensation.
Call us now at 718-295-4000, or schedule your consultation so that we can evaluate your case and provide you with the quality attention you deserve, with the responsibility and closeness that will make you feel safe and in the best hands.
Also, check out: Know your rights as a victim of repetitive work injuries in New York
Did you suffer a work accident? This is what you need to know about workers’ compensation
Regarding this important benefit established by the law of most entities in the United States, there are various myths that can generate confusion among workers who may need this compensation for an optimal and worry-free recovery after an accident.
Below, we tell you 6 myths and truths about workers’ compensation, so that you have everything clear when claiming your rights as a worker:
- If an employee suffers an accident at work, they can always sue their employer to receive greater benefits.
- Companies always try to avoid paying workers’ compensation to employees who suffer accidents at work.
- Only workers in certain industries can receive workers’ compensation.
- If an employee suffers an accident at work, they will lose their job.
- If a worker is responsible for their own work accident, they cannot receive compensation.
- A worker without immigration status has no right to compensation in case of a work accident.
- In most cases, workers’ compensation is a no-fault system, which means that employees cannot sue their employers for work-related accidents unless the employer acted intentionally or negligently.
- Most companies have workers’ compensation insurance to cover the costs of work-related accidents, so they are not actually avoiding paying employees. In addition, employers are required to provide adequate workers’ compensation to their employees in the event of a work-related accident.
- Workers’ compensation is available to all employees, regardless of their industry. However, there are some jobs where work-related accidents are more likely to occur, such as the construction sector.
- The workers’ compensation law protects employees from being fired as a result of a work-related accident. However, employers have the right to fire employees for other valid reasons.
- Most workers’ compensation systems in the United States do not take into account the worker’s fault in a work-related accident. If an employee is injured while working, they generally have the right to receive workers’ compensation, regardless of who is responsible for the accident, except for some exceptions, such as if they were injured while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- All workers, regardless of their immigration status, have the right to workers’ compensation in the United States if they are injured while working. The fact that a worker does not have legal documentation should not be a barrier to receiving the compensation they deserve by law.
Now that you have more clarity about this important labor benefit, remember that you don’t have to claim your rights alone. Having the support of a team of Spanish-speaking accident lawyers can be the key to ensuring that your rights are respected, regardless of the extent of your injuries.
At Shikh Law, we fight for the compensation you deserve.
If you were a victim of a work-related accident in New York, you don’t have to face the case alone. At Nonna Shikh Law, we are willing to defend you. Our accident lawyers will work aggressively to fight for that million-dollar compensation that you deserve as a victim.
Call us now at 718-295-4000 or schedule your consultation so our lawyers can evaluate your case. We will work with you to enforce your rights in any legal instance. We are the top-notch law firm you need to make justice.
If you still have doubts about the benefit of workers’ compensation for injured workers in the United States, here are some frequently asked questions on this topic, so that you have a little more clarity when defending your rights.
What is workers’ compensation?
Workers’ compensation is a legal system that provides employees in the United States with insurance against work-related injuries or illnesses. With this benefit, you can have the opportunity to recover each of the expenses generated by the accident, so that the impact of the event does not affect your economy.
When can I claim workers’ compensation?
You can claim workers’ compensation if you are injured or become ill as a result of your work. Work-related injuries and illnesses can include cuts, fractures, respiratory diseases, occupational diseases, repetitive work injuries, and stress-related disorders.
What expenses does workers’ compensation cover?
Workers’ compensation can cover a variety of expenses related to an injury or illness suffered in the workplace, such as medical expenses, lost wages, disability benefits, among others.
Do I need legal assistance from labor lawyers?
While workers’ compensation is, in most cases, a mandatory benefit for a worker who is a victim of work-related accidents, there are occasions when certain aspects can make the process difficult. With the help of a team of labor lawyers, you can better understand your rights and have legal defense that will guide you on the right path until you receive the compensation you truly deserve.
If you need accident lawyers in New York, at Shikh Law you will find the best ones. Call us today at 718-295-4000 and work with a top-notch team that will be truly committed to your well-being and peace of mind.
The team of writers of Nonna Shikh is made up of a group of lawyers specialized in personal injury, traffic, construction and slip and fall cases. Each member of the team has extensive experience in their area of specialization and is committed to providing the best defense and compensation to their clients in New York City.