Although in some cases they may seem like harmless injuries, the reality is that most of the time a dog bite can result in serious injuries for a victim, and even in diseases that can put their life at risk if immediate medical attention is not received.
In the face of this type of injury, the law allows you to act legally to obtain benefits that help you recover each of the expenses that arise from your injuries. But, how can you file a dog bite lawsuit?
In this article, we tell you everything you need to know about it, so that you can be prepared in case you or someone you know becomes a victim of this type of personal injury accident.
Were you the victim of a dog bite? Then our specialized accident lawyers at Nonna Shikh Law can help you get justice. We are a top-tier law firm, ready to provide you with the quality attention you need to defend your rights. Call us now at 718-295-4000 or schedule your consultation to receive the defense you deserve.
Also, check out: What aspects can influence the value of compensation for slip and fall accidents?
Can you sue after a dog bite?
In most cases of personal injury, even those related to dog bites, as a victim, the law gives you the right to act through a lawsuit against the responsible party, which in these cases would be the pet owner.
If the accident was caused by the owner’s negligence, and this is proven through a lawsuit, you may have the opportunity to receive a million-dollar compensation that will allow you to recover each of the expenses that arise from your injuries, including medical care, prescribed medications, etc.
However, in the case of New York, this is considered a mixed state in cases of dog bites, which means that a pet owner must cover a victim’s expenses only if it is proven that they knew the animal could bite people and did nothing to prevent it.
What do I need to file a dog bite lawsuit?
When filing a lawsuit for personal injury caused by a dog bite, it is important to first make sure you have the support of a good team of accident lawyers who can guide you through the legal path that can provide you with the best benefits.
Likewise, in case it is necessary to file a lawsuit to obtain benefits that allow minimizing the impact of the accident’s injuries, it is important to have as much evidence as possible that supports the victim’s testimony.
In this case, photographs of the pet, the place where it was located, and its conditions can be used, as well as the owner’s full name and surname, and photos and videos of the injuries caused by the incident.
How to sue after a dog bite?
In the United States, filing a lawsuit for a dog bite generally involves the following steps:
- Get medical attention: The first thing you should do after suffering a dog bite is to seek medical attention immediately. It is important to document all your injuries and the treatments you receive.
- Identify the dog owner: If the bite was caused by someone else’s dog, you must identify the dog owner and obtain their contact information.
- Document evidence: It is important to document all relevant evidence related to the dog bite. This may include photos of your injuries, the dog that bit you, the location where the incident occurred, and any witnesses who witnessed the attack.
- Contact a lawyer: If you have suffered serious injuries as a result of a dog bite, it is recommended that you contact a lawyer specializing in personal injury cases. At Nonna Shikh Law, we can help you understand your legal rights, evaluate your case, and guide you through the process of filing a lawsuit.
- File the lawsuit: If you decide to take legal action, your lawyer will file a lawsuit on your behalf in the appropriate court. The lawsuit will describe the facts of the case, the injuries you suffered, and request monetary compensation for damages.
- Resolve the case: Once the lawsuit has been filed, the case can be resolved through an out-of-court settlement or through a trial. If an agreement is reached, an agreed-upon monetary compensation will be established between the parties. If the case goes to trial, a judge or jury will decide the outcome of the case and determine the compensation you will receive as a result.
Remember that if you need legal help to sue for dog bites, at Nonna Shikh, we know your rights and are willing to aggressively defend them to ensure your financial recovery.
Call us now at 718-295-4000, or schedule your consultation with our lawyers, who will provide you with personalized and top-tier attention, where your satisfaction and peace of mind will be the main objective. Don’t be afraid to defend your rights! Work with us and access the million-dollar compensation you deserve.
You may also be interested in: If you have been in a bicycle accident, how can a team of personal injury lawyers help you?
Frequently Asked Questions
If you were a victim of dog bites and are unaware of the legal process you need to follow, here are some frequently asked questions that can help clarify the actions that will allow you to seek justice for your injuries.
What are dog bite accidents?
Dog bite accidents refer to injuries that a person may suffer as a result of being bitten by a dog. These injuries can range from minor scrapes and bruises to serious wounds that require urgent medical treatment.
When do dog bites occur?
Dog bites can occur in a variety of circumstances, such as when a person is near an aggressive dog, when a person provokes or annoys a dog, or when a dog is loose and not being properly supervised by its owner.
What kind of injuries can these accidents cause?
Dog bites, depending on their severity, can cause minor injuries such as bruises or high severity injuries such as open wounds, damage to muscle tissue, bone fractures, disfigurement, infections, nerve damage, etc.
Can I receive compensation for dog bites?
Yes, it is possible to receive compensation for dog bites in the state of New York, but it will depend on the specific circumstances of your case. In the case of New York City, the law establishes that dog owners are responsible for the damages their pets may cause to other people, especially when they know the risk and do not act to prevent it.
Why is it important to have the support of accident lawyers?
The legal support of a team of accident lawyers is essential in cases of dog bites because they can be complicated for victims to resolve on their own, especially when they are unaware of the legal process to take and each of the steps to follow to claim their benefits through a lawsuit.
Remember that if you need legal assistance for dog bites in New York, you can call 718-295-4000 and work with our professional lawyers at Nonna Shikh. We have been getting millions for our clients’ injuries for over 25 years, and you could be next. Let us defend your rights with the honesty, responsibility, and quality that characterizes us as accident lawyers in New York.”
The team of writers of Nonna Shikh is made up of a group of lawyers specialized in personal injury, traffic, construction and slip and fall cases. Each member of the team has extensive experience in their area of specialization and is committed to providing the best defense and compensation to their clients in New York City.