A wrongful death is a death caused by the negligence, recklessness or intentional act of another person or entity. If you have lost a loved one due to a wrongful death in the Bronx, you may be entitled to file a lawsuit and seek compensation for your losses.
However, wrongful death cases are complex and require the guidance of an experienced and compassionate lawyer who can protect your rights and interests.
If you have a wrongful death case in New York, you have rights that we can defend. Contact us to receive all the legal assistance you need, until you achieve the highest compensation for your injuries. call today at 718-295-4000, or schedule your consultation to learn more about your case.
What is the statute of limitations for wrongful death claims in New York?
The statute of limitations is the time limit within which you must file a lawsuit. In New York, you generally have two years from the date of death to file a wrongful death claim.
However, there may be exceptions or extensions depending on the circumstances of your case. Therefore, it is advisable to consult with a lawyer as soon as possible after the death of your loved one.
What is the legal process for wrongful death claims in New York?
The legal process for wrongful death claims in New York involves several steps, such as:
- Filing a notice of claim if the defendant is a government entity or employee
- Filing a petition for letters of administration if the deceased did not leave a will
- Filing a complaint and summons in the appropriate court
- Conducting discovery to gather evidence and information from the other party
- Negotiating a settlement or going to trial if no settlement is reached
How do I prove negligence in a wrongful death case?
To prove negligence in a wrongful death case, you must show that:
- The defendant owed a duty of care to the deceased
- The defendant breached that duty of care by acting or failing to act in a reasonable manner
- The defendant’s breach caused or contributed to the death of the deceased
- The death of the deceased resulted in damages to you and other beneficiaries
What kind of compensation can I get for a wrongful death case?
The kind of compensation that you can get for a wrongful death case depends on the facts and circumstances of your case. However, some of the common types of damages that you may be able to recover are:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Medical expenses incurred by the deceased before death
- Loss of income and benefits that the deceased would have earned
- Loss of inheritance that the beneficiaries would have received
- Loss of companionship, guidance and support that the deceased provided
- Pain and suffering endured by the deceased before death
- Punitive damages if the defendant acted with malice or gross negligence
Types of Cases
There are different types of cases that can result in wrongful death in the Bronx, such as:
Car accidents: Car accidents are one of the leading causes of wrongful death in the Bronx. They can be caused by factors such as speeding, drunk driving, distracted driving, defective vehicles, road hazards or poor weather conditions.
Slip-and-fall accidents: Slip-and-fall accidents can occur when property owners or managers fail to maintain their premises in a safe condition. They can result in fatal injuries such as head trauma, spinal cord damage or internal bleeding.
Medical malpractice: Medical malpractice occurs when doctors, nurses or other health care providers deviate from the accepted standards of care and cause harm to their patients. Examples of medical malpractice that can lead to wrongful death include misdiagnosis, medication errors, surgical errors, birth injuries or infections.
Police brutality: Police brutality occurs when law enforcement officers use excessive or unnecessary force against civilians. It can result in fatal injuries such as gunshot wounds, asphyxiation or blunt force trauma.
Defective products: Defective products are products that are unsafe or malfunctioning due to design flaws, manufacturing defects or inadequate warnings. They can cause fatal injuries such as electrocution, burns, poisoning or choking.
If you have lost a loved one due to a wrongful death in the Bronx, you need a lawyer who can fight for your rights and help you recover the maximum compensation that you deserve.
At Shikh Law, we have over 20 years of experience in handling wrongful death cases and we are committed to providing you with personalized and compassionate legal service.
Contact us today for a free consultation and let us handle your case while you focus on healing. You can reach us by phone at 718-557-9729 or by filling out our online form.
Don’t wait, call us now and let us be your voice for justice.
The team of writers of Nonna Shikh is made up of a group of lawyers specialized in personal injury, traffic, construction and slip and fall cases. Each member of the team has extensive experience in their area of specialization and is committed to providing the best defense and compensation to their clients in New York City.