If you have been injured in an accident that was not your fault, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages. However, to get the best possible outcome for your case, you need to hire a personal injury lawyer who can represent your interests and fight for your rights.
But how do you choose the best personal injury lawyer in Queens? What should you look for in a lawyer who can handle your case? And how do you find a lawyer who is trustworthy, experienced, and knowledgeable?
In this article, we will answer these questions and give you some tips on how to choose the best personal injury lawyer in Queens. We will also explain why it is important to hire a lawyer who specializes in personal injury law and who knows the laws and regulations of Queens.
If you are in a slip-and-fall accident in New York, you have rights that we can defend. Contact us to receive all the legal assistance you need, until you achieve the highest compensation for your injuries. call today at 718-295-4000, or schedule your consultation to learn more about your case.
What to Look for in a Personal Injury Lawyer in Queens
When choosing a personal injury lawyer in Queens, you should consider the following factors:
Experience and Reputation
One of the most important things to look for in a personal injury lawyer is their experience and reputation. You want a lawyer who has handled cases similar to yours and who has a track record of success. You also want a lawyer who has good reviews and testimonials from previous clients and who has a good reputation in the legal community.
To check the experience and reputation of a personal injury lawyer, you can:
- Ask them how long they have been practicing personal injury law and how many cases they have handled.
- Ask them about their success rate and their average settlement or verdict amount.
- Ask them for references or contact information of previous clients who can vouch for their work.
- Check their online reviews and ratings on platforms like Google, Yelp, Avvo, etc.
- Check their credentials and awards on websites like Super Lawyers, Martindale-Hubbell, etc.
Specialization and Knowledge
Another important thing to look for in a personal injury lawyer is their specialization and knowledge. You want a lawyer who specializes in the type of injury or accident that you suffered and who knows the laws and regulations of Queens. You also want a lawyer who is up to date with the latest developments and trends in personal injury law.
To check the specialization and knowledge of a personal injury lawyer, you can:
- Ask them what type of cases they focus on and what percentage of their practice is dedicated to personal injury law.
- Ask them if they have handled cases involving the same type of injury or accident that you suffered and what were the outcomes.
- Ask them if they are familiar with the laws and regulations of Queens that apply to your case and how they affect your claim.
- Ask them if they attend continuing legal education courses or seminars on personal injury law.
Communication and Trust
The last but not least thing to look for in a personal injury lawyer is their communication and trust. You want a lawyer who communicates with you clearly and honestly and who makes you feel comfortable and confident with their work. You also want a lawyer who listens to your needs and concerns and who respects your opinions and decisions.
To check the communication and trust of a personal injury lawyer, you can:
- Ask them how they communicate with their clients and how often they update them on their case progress.
- Ask them how they handle their fees and expenses and if they offer a free consultation and a contingency fee arrangement.
- Ask them how they approach their cases and what strategies they use to achieve the best results.
- Ask them how they handle any challenges or difficulties that may arise during the case.
- Ask them any questions or doubts that you may have about your case or their services.
How to Find the Best Personal Injury Lawyer in Queens
Now that you know what to look for in a personal injury lawyer, you may be wondering how to find one. Here are some tips on how to find the best personal injury lawyer in Queens:
Ask for Recommendations and Referrals
One of the best ways to find a personal injury lawyer is to ask for recommendations and referrals from people you know and trust.
This could be your family, friends, colleagues, or professionals who have hired a personal injury lawyer in Queens before. They can share their experiences and opinions with you and give you some names of lawyers who they think are good.
However, keep in mind that every case is different and that what worked for someone else may not work for you. Therefore, you should always do your own research and verify the credentials and reputation of the lawyers that you are referred to.
Compare Options and Quotes
Another way to find a personal injury lawyer is to compare different options and quotes from various lawyers. You can do this by searching online, using directories, or contacting local bar associations. You can also use websites like FindLaw or Super Lawyers that can help you find lawyers based on your location, practice area, ratings, etc.
Once you have a list of potential lawyers, you should contact them and ask for a free consultation and a quote.
A free consultation is an opportunity for you to meet the lawyer in person or over the phone and discuss your case with them. A quote is an estimate of how much the lawyer will charge you for their services.
During the consultation and quote, you should ask the lawyer the questions that we mentioned above and evaluate their answers.
You should also compare their fees, services, availability, etc. and see which one offers the best value for your money.
Make an Initial Consultation
The final step to finding a personal injury lawyer is to make an initial consultation with the lawyer that you are interested in.
This is a meeting where you can discuss your case in more detail with the lawyer and see if they are a good fit for you. You should also bring any documents or evidence that are relevant to your case, such as medical records, police reports, photos, etc.
During the initial consultation, you should ask the lawyer more questions about your case and their services. You should also pay attention to how they treat you and how they make you feel.
You should look for a lawyer who is professional, courteous, attentive, and confident.
After the initial consultation, you should have enough information to decide whether to hire the lawyer or not. If you decide to hire them, you should sign a retainer agreement that outlines the terms and conditions of your relationship.
If you decide not to hire them, you should thank them for their time and look for another option.
The Most Common Personal Injuries in Queens
Personal injuries are injuries that affect your body or mind as a result of someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing.
Personal injuries can happen in various situations and can cause various types of damages. Some of the most common personal injuries in Queens are:
Car accidents are one of the leading causes of personal injuries in Queens. Car accidents can involve collisions, hit-and-runs, rollovers, etc. and can cause injuries such as:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injuries
Car accidents can also result in property damage, lost income, pain and suffering, etc.
If you have been injured in a car accident that was caused by someone else’s negligence or recklessness, you may be able to file a claim against them or their insurance company.
Workplace accidents are another common cause of personal injuries in Queens. Workplace accidents can involve falls, slips, trips, cuts, burns, exposure to hazardous substances, etc. and can cause injuries such as:
- Herniated discs
- Repetitive stress injuries
- Occupational diseases
- Hearing loss
Workplace accidents can also result in medical expenses, lost wages, disability benefits, etc.
If you have been injured in a workplace accident that was caused by your employer’s negligence or violation of safety standards, you may be able to file a workers’ compensation claim or a personal injury lawsuit.
Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents are another common cause of personal injuries in Queens. Slip and fall accidents can involve slipping on a wet floor, tripping over an obstacle, falling down stairs, etc. and can cause injuries such as:
- Spinal cord injuries
Slip and fall accidents can also result in medical bills, lost earnings, pain and suffering, etc. If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident that was caused by someone else’s negligence or failure to maintain their property, you may be able to file a premises liability claim or a personal injury lawsuit.
Medical malpractice is another common cause of personal injuries in Queens. Medical malpractice can involve errors or negligence by doctors, nurses, hospitals, clinics, pharmacies, etc. and can cause injuries such as:
- Delayed diagnosis
- Wrong treatment
- Medication errors
- Surgical errors
- Birth injuries
Medical malpractice can also result in additional medical costs, lost income, pain and suffering, etc.
If you have been injured by medical malpractice that was caused by someone else’s breach of the standard of care, you may be able to file a medical malpractice claim or a personal injury lawsuit.
Dog bites are another common cause of personal injuries in Queens. Dog bites can involve attacks by dogs that are owned by someone else or that are stray and can cause injuries such as:
- Puncture wounds
- Nerve damage
Dog bites can also result in medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, etc. If you have been bitten by a dog that was owned by someone else or that was stray, you may be able to file a dog bite claim or a personal injury lawsuit.
Types of Compensation for Personal Injuries in Queens
If you have suffered a personal injury in Queens that was caused by someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing, you may be entitled to compensation for your damages. Compensation is the money that you receive from the liable party or their insurance company to cover your losses and expenses. There are three main types of compensation for personal injuries in Queens:
Economic damages are the compensation that you receive for your financial losses and expenses. These include:
- Medical bills: This covers the costs of your diagnosis, treatment, medication, surgery, rehabilitation, etc.
- Lost income: This covers the wages or salary that you lost due to your injury and your inability to work.
- Property damage: This covers the costs of repairing or replacing your property that was damaged in the accident, such as your car, bike, etc.
- Other expenses: This covers any other costs that you incurred as a result of your injury, such as transportation, childcare, household services, etc.
Economic damages are usually easy to calculate and prove because they are based on bills, receipts, invoices, etc.
Non-economic damages are the compensation that you receive for your non-financial losses and suffering. These include:
- Pain and suffering: This covers the physical pain and emotional distress that you experienced due to your injury and its impact on your life.
- Anguish and emotional distress: This covers the mental anguish and emotional distress that you experienced due to your injury and its impact on your life.
- Loss of quality of life: This covers the loss of enjoyment and satisfaction that you experienced due to your injury and its impact on your life.
- Loss of consortium: This covers the loss of companionship and intimacy that you experienced due to your injury and its impact on your relationship with your spouse or partner.
Non-economic damages are usually harder to calculate and prove because they are based on subjective factors and opinions.
Punitive damages are the compensation that you receive to punish the liable party for their malicious or reckless conduct. These include:
- Malicious conduct: This covers the conduct that was intended to cause harm or injury to you or others, such as assault, battery, fraud, etc.
- Reckless conduct: This covers the conduct that showed a disregard or indifference for the safety or rights of you or others, such as drunk driving, texting while driving, etc.
Punitive damages are usually rare and reserved for extreme cases where the liable party’s conduct was outrageous or egregious. They are also subject to limits and caps depending on the state law.
The team of writers of Nonna Shikh is made up of a group of lawyers specialized in personal injury, traffic, construction and slip and fall cases. Each member of the team has extensive experience in their area of specialization and is committed to providing the best defense and compensation to their clients in New York City.